Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Cake(s), the Liquid Grenades and the Party

I realised recently I haven't thrown a birthday party for myself since my 21st birthday. Which, I must sadly admit, was 6 years ago. Let's throw a party, then.

Red green and white theme.

The original idea (and hope) was to do it outside, like a big evening picnic in a park. End of June, why not. Well, not because of the cold and the rain. The weather looked more like March than June this weekend. 1st day of summer, huh... Home party then. In the end, I was happy we did it at home, because of the amount of food we cooked and baked. I don't think it would have been possible to carry it all to the park.

And there was more...












We had
  • four layers Red Velvet Cake (Mangolia Bakery in NYC recipe), mmmh so sweet, cookbook here
  • Lemon Drizzle Cake (The Londoner), best lemon cake ever, recipe here
  • crunchy Bacon&ComtĂ© Potato Cake inspired by the Bacon&Cheese Potato Muffins from the Diary of Dita P. cookbook (sorry, only in Czech)
  • Garlic and Chives Spread with radishes and italian breadsticks (bought those, both the radishes and the breadsticks but the chives were homegrown)
  • Red Hot Chilli Peppers with melting cheese from Dita P. as well. It's supposed to be an "After Sex" recipe, but suits a birthday party quite as well. You just need to like spicy stuff (and be careful not to put your hands in your eyes when preparing it).
  • to drink, along with a few beers and some wine, we had Basil Lemonade Grenades, thank you The Londoner for another simple yet delicious recipe! (I did simple Basil Lemonade, too)
  • and amazing Chocolate & Berries muffins from Jana, thanks!
My Red Velvet.

Muffins that became a cake.
Basil Lemonade Grenades = Basil Lemonade + Vodka.













Tip: If you have a small flat and especially if your living room is smaller than your bedroom, it's a good idea to use all the space you have (and people can sit on the bed = much more seating space). The problem we had is that during all other parties we did at home, people didn't want to go to the bedroom and the living room got really crammed. If you want to have people everywhere, put most of your food and drinks in the bedroom. It works.

Birthday girl.

It was a very nice party. I had great fun and people looked to have fun too. My friends know me too well, I got different flowers, nice tea with a cup, voucher for shoes and a lipstick... I drank the tea for breakfast on Sunday, wore the lipstick on Monday and now it's Tuesday and the shoes are on my feet. I guess the shoes will have their own post but for now, just a few pictures.

Thanks guys! My new Dessine-moi un soulier shoes.

Wore the lipstick right away to work on monday.







No comments:

Post a Comment