Thursday, August 8, 2013

Côte d'Azur, Côte d'Amour

Leaving everything behind, taking just your husband and friends, your swimsuit, your sandals, your sunscreen, your hat and sunglasses, some sundresses, shorts and tops. Thinking only about what kind of beautiful place you will go to the next day, what beach with turquoise waters you will be spending your time at and what ice cream flavour to pick next. That's my idea of a relaxing holiday.

And it's exactly what happened to me last week. Lucky girl, huh?



Starting your holidays with a beautiful wedding weekend probably gives it the right kick off, too. Most people start their holidays with stress while packing (have you packed your toothbrush!?!), being late at the airport, at the train station or stuck in a traffic jam. I guess starting them with a happy feeling is a much better option.

I was a bit worried the happy feeling would go away with the wedding over, but it didn't happen. It stayed with me all week. I couldn't believe all these shades of blue were true, in front of my very own eyes, in the Mediterranean, so close to several big cities. Waters so clear I could see my feet perfectly and at one point, even the fish swimming very deep below me. Without a tuba and a mask, just watching through several meters of water!






The best thing about St Tropez are not the bling yachts, it's the sunset.






We stayed not very far from the city of Hyères. When I discovered it was in Hyères that the name Côte d'Azur was born in the 19th century, I could completely understand why. I might be a colour freak, but as well as I couldn't help but marvel at all the different shades and hues of green in the Lake District this spring, this time I couldn't believe the different shades of blue the sea had up its sleeve. Azure, of course, but also baby blue, cyan and cobalt, teal, sapphire, turquoise, sky blue and deep marine blue. Some of those blues were so strange, they didn't even seem natural. But they were! With no filters, no sunglasses on, my head just above the water in one of the Calanques, the sea had a Smurf colour.

Fish!

Grand Site des Gorges du Verdon.

Vulture 
Moustiers

Lavender Fields.




And in this water we walked, jumped in the waves, swam, had fun, ate ice cream, talked, dived and windsurfed. Yes we did!













1 comment: